Varnish under the chin rest clamp.

Varnishing

Varnish under the chin rest clamp.

Postby christopherobin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 am

Hello, I like the oil varnish that I am making, except that I have found that when I put on, then take off a chin rest, the varnish has been dented or even removed. It would be nice never have to remove a chin rest, but that isn't practical. I had thought of adding a coat or two of retouch varnish just in that area of a new violin to protect/toughen it. Has anyone else tried something like that, or do you have a suggestion? Thank you.
christopherobin

Re: Varnish under the chin rest clamp.

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Hello, some of the varnishes need longer to get properly cured (besides the UV) - maybe a few months. Or your varnish is too fat (oil/resin ratio), meaning you should add more resin or less oil during cooking. I would not recommend putting anything harder on the already soft base. The lean to fat principle often used in violin varnishing works in exactly the oposite direction. The first layers shoud have more resin while the top ones should be softer (more oil). Hope this helps, VB
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Re: Varnish under the chin rest clamp.

Postby christopherobin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks! I thinks that I am too impatient after varnishing, and I want to go right to the set up. I will heed your advice :)
christopherobin