Sticky varnish

Varnishing

Sticky varnish

Postby Miguel Garcia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 am

Hello:
I have varnished my first violin with a varnish made by me following a classic recipe: 500 cc of linseed oil, 250 g of colophony and 125 g of aloe powder, I have dried it in the sun and then I have polished it using a polishing cream OW - Polish but does not finish hardening and the touch is a bit sticky. What could I do?
Miguel Garcia

Re: Sticky varnish

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am

Hello,

much depends on the cooking of the warnish, see the recipes on this site. I don`t know what you mean by "sticky". Do you leave fingerprints after moderate pressure for a few seconds? Again, see the varnishing section on this site for more info. Generally, it is best to test the varnish on pieces of wood first to better understand the process.

VB
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Postby miguelgarcia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello:
Exactly, after a few seconds by pressing a little with the fingers the marks are lightly marked. Can I sand lightly and give it a coat of varnish sold in luthier stores?
Thank you for your response.
Best regards
miguelgarcia

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I don`t know how long you left the varnish to cure, but generally, if after a few days outside the varnish is still this soft, even in the areas of high exposure, ie. the top of the belly, you can either put the violin aside and give it a month to see if that helps, or strip the varnish and try again with something better. I would advise against putting another layer on top of this uncured one.

Also, I would like to point out the importance of each layer being cured thoroughly {no imprinting} before the aplication of the next one, because if you are too hasty in this, the resulting varnish can indeed take much, much longer to cure.
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Postby miguelgarcia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Thank you very much for your advice, I will let you spend some time to see if it hardens and as a last option I will remove the varnish and start again. I take this opportunity to congratulate you on this magnificent page.
miguelgarcia

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

Thank you. (keeping my fingers crossed for your varnish :)
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin