Template problem

Postby Addie » Fri May 09, 2014 10:32 pm

There is a problem with the template,
http://www.makingtheviolin.com/Preparing_the_neck_block
figure 3 (green),

and the pegbox template,
http://www.makingtheviolin.com/Cutting_the_pegbox
figure 2(red).

The peg holes are not in the same place. By using the neck and scroll template, and drilling the holes with a drill press, the holes are too close to the neck end of the pegbox. The pegbox template shows the holes in the correct location, but that is too late!

What do I do now? :(

Change the angle? Borrow a few mm from the nut and neck root?

Addie

Re: Template problem

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Sat May 10, 2014 11:03 am

Hello Addie!

I wouldn't rebore. If you think there is still enough space for the strings, let it be. The placement of pegholes varies considerably from maker to maker. A mm doesn't matter much. If there is not enough space for the G string, change the angle of the pegbox wall a little (make it more vertical).

I apologize for this and will correct the templates today. Thank you for pointing this out. I hope you'll be ok.

VB
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 am

Hello again,

I have corrected the pegbox image to agree with the neck template. For your interest, I also have enclosed an image of the original Messiah head, which clearly shows that Stradivari chose to position the peg holes even closer up, which in my view is way too close to the nut. The hole distribution used on this site is very close to the Courtnall "standard".

VB

scrn.png
scrn.png (134.93 KiB) Viewed 60429 times
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Postby BreannaWatson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for bringing this vital issue to our attention! The whole distribution used on this site is very specific and original!
BreannaWatson

Postby jessiebarber » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I just wanted to thank you for the shared question and thank you for pointing out this necessary aspect!
jessiebarber