templates cut, making a few more tools for this project

Template and mould

templates cut, making a few more tools for this project

Postby Mojoatomic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:17 pm

I cut some templates for this project last night, based on the ones on this site. I chose to make my violin symmetrical and also changed the layout of the mold a bit to better fit my working style, so a bit of drawing and tweaking required.

My current plan is for walnut back, sides and neck with a spruce top - not overly traditional, but we'll see how it turns out -)

If anyone wants these revised drawings, I'm happy to post them for use.

Mojoatomic

Re: templates cut, making a few more tools for this project

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Hello Mojoatomic, I like the precision, which is a good thing with the mould. Hope the relative thinness doesn`t give you any trouble. Thanks for sharing the images with us.

Walnut back? I wish I had the courage ;) It might be as good as maple.
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Postby Mojoatomic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Vojtech Blahout wrote:Hello Mojoatomic, I like the precision, which is a good thing with the mould. Hope the relative thinness doesn`t give you any trouble. Thanks for sharing the images with us.

Walnut back? I wish I had the courage ;) It might be as good as maple.

Well, these are the master templates, so they're quite thin. The working mold will be stacked in two pieces, quite a bit thicker and made with a router, using the master template as a guide. In the end it will be a fairly standard mold for a fairly standard garland - I just use the laser for my templates because it's just way easier, and my shop is set up for it (I usually make guitars).

The walnut back will be a challenge to get to yield to swept gouges... might have to help it out with some power tools. It might play like a brick, but it might also sing like a lion... realistically, I imagine it will be somewhere in the middle of all of that, and since this is my first violin, well, I imagine there will be room for improvement.
Mojoatomic

Postby Vojtech Blahout » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 am

I see now. A violin by a guitar maker, that would make an interesting article on the differences of building, if only for the simple fact that you are a lot less "burdened by the past". Great work!
Vojtech Blahout
Site Admin

Postby Mojoatomic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Or... I might get burned at the stake :-)
Mojoatomic